Broken thermostats can be a stand-alone problem, but they may also indicate a larger problem at hand with your air conditioning system. On days with extreme weather—especially during Florida’s hot and humid summers—having broken AC can be a health risk, old and young.
Rather than risk having to take someone to the Westside Regional Emergency Room in Davie for heatstroke, you can look to Joe Hillman Cooling & Heating to fix your thermostat and air conditioner. We offer 24/7 emergency AC repair, which includes:
- Responding to your call and sending a technician to service you no matter the hour of the day or night
- Fixing and/or replacing broken thermostats
- Diagnosing and repairing other issues found in your HVAC system
We aim to be a reliable source for AC repair and maintenance in Davie and the whole of South Florida. So, whenever you need us, we’ll be here to serve you.
These common thermostat problems may affect your air conditioner
Our company has served people in Davie, Florida, for more than 31 years, so we have experience spotting common causes for thermostat malfunctions in people’s homes, offices, and commercial buildings.
Some common thermostat problems include:
Your Thermostat is Old
The life span for older models of air conditioning is about 10 to 15 years, and this generally applies to thermostats as well. If you are using a thermostat made before 2010, you may see more technical problems with it due to gradual degradation. We recommend that you consider replacing it with a more modern device.
Your Thermostat Needs New Batteries
Sometimes thermostat malfunctions simply come down to low batteries, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t replace their thermostat’s batteries. If you replace the batteries and still experience problems, there may be other issues at hand.
Your Thermostat Was Not Properly Installed
This issue is common in houses where the previous owner tried to install the thermostat themselves. Wires may be loose or improperly connected. Rather than try to do it yourself and worsen the issue, our HVAC technician can come to your location to install it correctly.
Dust and Dirt are Clogging Up Your Thermostat
As thermostats get older, dust, dirt, and other debris build up beneath their covers. Routine cleaning can keep your thermostat in working order, but if you notice strange grime coming from the thermostat, you can also have a tech look at it and see if there is another issue afoot.
The thermostat is not leveled or in a good location of the house: Where and how you install the thermostat is a key decision to make. Industry rule generally advises that the thermostat be leveled, positioned 5 feet from the front door, and away from direct sunlight. If the thermostat is crooked or hit by too much sunlight, it may give inaccurate temperature readings and malfunction.
Troubleshooting Tips to Fix Your Thermostat at Home
Not sure if you should call an HVAC technician to repair your thermostat? Here are some tips to fix your broken thermostat or tell whether you should schedule a thermostat repair appointment with our team:
- Replace the batteries if you are using a digital thermostat.
- Check for dust or dirt underneath the thermostat cover and gently clean it with a cloth or small brush.
- Inspect the thermostat to see if any wires are loose or if other parts are out of place (e.g., screws).
- Observe whether sunlight may be able to directly hit the thermostat and note which times of the day, if only during a specific time frame.
- Use a leveler to measure whether the thermostat is leveled.
If during these tests you find your thermostat is still malfunctioning or shows signs of needing maintenance, our team of HVAC professionals are available to come to your Davie home for service.
Smart Thermostats are Among ENERGY STAR’s Latest Technologies
Smart technology is rapidly intertwining with several devices at home, from motion-detecting surveillance cameras that you can monitor on your smartphone to smart refrigerators that tell you when you need to buy groceries.
Well, ENERGY STAR now certifies smart thermostats that have new features homeowners and business owners might enjoy, such as:
- Wi-Fi controls that allow you to control heating and cooling temperatures through your smartphone
- Standby mode that reduces power usage from the thermostat
- Artificial intelligence (AI) technology that learns your temperature preferences over time and can follow your schedule to save energy when you’re at work
- Geofencing, which allows your thermostat to sense when you are coming home and begin setting your home temperature for your arrival
- Data analysis that shows your energy usage and patterns
Interested in upgrading your thermostat to a modern device that you can connect with your phone? Our sales representatives can give you free estimates during a consultation and discuss our thermostat repair and installation services in Davie.
Call Joe Hillman Cooling & Heating if your thermostat is giving you issues
If you are experiencing problems with your thermostat and it is affecting your air conditioning or heating system, contact Joe Hillman Cooling & Heating to schedule an appointment for repair. We can send a thermostat technician to your home in Davie and help you get your HVAC system running again.
Dial (954) 283-5479 today to receive thermostat repair and installation in Davie from one of our climate control professionals. We’re waiting for your call.